The Affordable Housing Renovation Partnership (AHRP):
- The Affordable Housing Renovation Partnership, established in 2009, is working to promote healthy and economically vibrant neighbourhoods while addressing the need for adequate housing in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.
- AHRP includes representatives of Cape Breton University, the Cape Breton Regional Municipality, the Cape Breton Council of Churches, Nova Scotia Community College, Nova Scotia Department of Community Services, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Habitat for Humanity, New Dawn Enterprises, Seton Foundation, Cape Breton District Health Authority, and the Association for Safer Cape Breton Communities.
- AHRP encouraged the start-up of a local committee for Habitat for Humanity.
- AHRP did preliminary investigative work on a glebe house that is now being renovated for housing for persons living with mental illness.
- AHRP requested the preparation of an inventory of the more than 800 vacant buildings in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.
- AHRP advocates for policies that support renovation, reinvestment, and decent affordable housing in older neighbourhoods.
- AHRP will shortly present a five-year business plan to the CBRM Council (study funded by Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation and the CBRM).
- For further information on the work of AHRP, please contact the following Cape Breton University faculty members: Dr Tom Urbaniak (902-563-1226) firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Andrew Molloy (902-563-1858) email@example.com.